Email MeRobert E. Sanders
Bob Sanders is a trial lawyer. He concentrates his practice in the area of plaintiffs’ personal injury litigation. He has represented hundreds of victims of serious injury, and their families, in litigation in state and federal courts, and before numerous federal and state agencies. He is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, the Ohio and Kentucky Bar Associations, and the Kentucky Justice Association.
Bob has been voted by his peers as one of the Top Lawyers in Kentucky by the Kentucky Super Lawyers survey every year since the publication began. He is rated A-V by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in several categories in The Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for many years. He was honored as “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Kentucky Justice Association and received the “Lifetime Achievement Award” of the Northern Kentucky Bar Association.
Bob is the author of numerous articles published in law reviews and professional journals. He has spoken many times at continuing legal education programs for legal associations throughout America and educational seminars for businesses. Bob served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at The Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Northern Kentucky University, for over 15 years. He taught trial practice and coached the Chase National Competition Mock Trial Team—one of the best in the nation.
Bob has tried a wide variety of civil and criminal cases to juries. He is one of the few lawyers who has tried capital (death penalty) cases both as a prosecutor and as a defense attorney. On the civil side, he has tried to judgment scores of serious injury and death cases involving medical malpractice, automobile design liability, farm equipment defects, tractor-trailer wrecks, automobile collisions, dangerous or defective pharmaceutical drugs, electrocution, premises liability, and fires. In the business litigation arena, Bob has tried land use planning, zoning, contracts, fraud claims, and various statutory issues.
Bob has also handled numerous class actions, mass torts, multidistrict litigation, and insurance coverage disputes. He has argued cases in the Supreme Court of Kentucky, and in the Fifth, Sixth, and Eleventh Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals. He has handled cases in the state courts of Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, West Virginia, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Colorado, Washington, and California.
Among his many activities, Bob is a Past President of the Kentucky Justice Association, and of the Salmon P. Chase American Inn of Court. He is a past member of the Board of Governors of the American Association for Justice and a current member of the Board of Governors of the Kentucky Justice Association. He has chaired the Legislative Committee of the Kentucky Justice Association and the Inter-professional Relations Committee of the Northern Kentucky Bar Association. He serves on the Board of Directors and as legal counsel for a number of charitable and civil organizations.
Bob and his wife, Shirley, have been married since 1969. They have three children, all of whom are lawyers. Two of their children are also married to lawyers. Bob Sanders is the founder and managing partner of The Sanders Law Firm. His leisure time activities include motorcycling, off-roading Hummer H1 and H2 trucks, and shooting sports. Bob has ridden motorcycles since he was sixteen years old, logging over a half million safe miles on two wheels. He is an NRA-certified Range Safety Officer.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Appellate Practice
- Business Litigation
- Civil Trial Practice
- Environmental Law
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Ohio, 1972
- Kentucky, 1973
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1973
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1972
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- J.D. - 1972
- Eastern Kentucky University
- B.A., B.S., - 1969
- Major: English
- Major: Business
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: A-V
- Listed in "Best Lawyers in America", 2000 - 2014
- Kentucky Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, Kentucky Justice Association, 1997
- Lifetime Achievement Award, N. Kentucky Bar Association, 2000
- Recognized in: "Top 50 Kentucky Lawyers;"
- Named a “Super Lawyer” in Plaintiff's Medical Malpractice and Products Liability Litigation, Kentucky Monthly Magazine
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys, 1994 - 2014
- Recognized in "56 of the Town's Top Attorneys," by Cincinnati Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Vice President
- The American Justice Association (Association of Trial Lawyers of America), Council of Presidents, 1996 - 1997
- The American Justice Association (Association of Trial Lawyers of America), Board of Governors, 2000 - 2005
- Cincinnati State Bar Associations
- Kentucky State Bar Associations
- Northern Kentucky State Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Associations
- Kentucky Justice Association, Board of Governors, 1988 - Present
- Kentucky Justice Association, Vice President, 1994
- Kentucky Justice Association, President-Elect, 1995
- Kentucky Justice Association, President, 1996
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, State Coordinator, 1990 - 1994
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, State Coordinator, 2002 - 2007
- Master, Salmon P. Chase American Inn of Court, President, 1998 - 1999